Congratulations are in order on your upcoming vacation! Or, if you aren’t already booked, it’s time to start thinking about that trip. You deserve it, and you know it. So if you’ve already booked a flight, it’s time to make the plans that will turn a trip into a lifelong memory. And if you haven’t, it’s time to daydream about that vacation until you just can’t resist booking it.
If you need a little inspiration to get going – or just a nudge to make sure you don’t miss anything at your destination – here are a few ideas to get you started. From canopy tours to local cuisine, your only job on vacation is to maximize your sensory stimuli and make memories.
Photo Credit: Caroline Couret
Unforgettable Things You Only Get To Do On Vacation
- Sample the most authentic local cuisine you can find. In fact, let’s expand cuisine to include not only foods but also wines and spirits. Because when you’re in St. Croix, it’s the perfect time to sample authentic Cruzan rum (right there at the airport, where they give free samples as you’re debarking!), and when you go to Paris, leaving without trying foie gras is nearly criminal. Other bold delicacies that belong solely to their place of original include Bird’s Nest Soup and Haggis, both of which are the province of the bold gourmand! No matter where in the world you go, there is sure to be a strange local delicacy to try.
- Take unforgettable pictures. When you come back from a vacation, the first thing you want to do is show off all of your pictures, so on your next vacation, make a commitment to taking pictures that are utterly worth the view. Nothing says “my vacation was totally pedestrian” like pictures of you wearing the same smile you wore to prom, wearing your khaki shorts in front of some landmark or other. Make the pictures pop – jump on things, wear a silly costume, take them from crazy vantage points. Heck, you can even fall back on some of the old standby fun photos. It beats the heck out of tame photos. You don’t want a tame, boring vacation. Think about that every time you raise your eye to the viewfinder.
- Take advantage of canopy tours. These zip line phenomenons have popped up at many different destinations since their inception in South America, and they’re a truly unforgettable experience. There is nothing like zipping through the air with the most beautiful view.
- Do at least one thing that scares the pants off of you. You’ll notice most of the things in this list take a certain bravery (’twas a bold man who first ate a Haggis, so they say) to accomplish, and that’s because the greatest, most unforgettable memories are made this way. Now, we’re not suggesting that you go wander a bad part of town and get mugged, or free climb a building. Your “fear” goals should be attainable. Hard for you, not hard for anyone.
- Vegetate, guilt-free. It’s the one chance you get to do it without feeling like you’re supposed to be doing something. Just spend at least one evening doing nothing, or as close to nothing as you can manage. Spend the entire day sitting on the beach or stay in and watch movies with your destination in it.
License: Creative Commons image source
Get out there and do and see as much as you can on your vacation. You will be happy that you did!
Ashely is a recent college graduate that likes to write about traveling and family vacations. To see more, check out her Twitter @ashelymarie1985.