Take Sports Holidays Abroad: Most people when they think of holidays that involve sports think of skiing. However, not everyone likes or wants to ski; perhaps it’s the cold that puts many off. So, whether you’re a professional or like me, an amateur when it comes to taking part in sports, there are various sports holidays to choose from. Not only can you choose you’re destination, but the types of sports are endless. This article will look at those opportunities available to you. You never know you might just stumble upon something special.
Types of Sports Holidays
Simply, the list for the types of sports holidays is endless. If you like certain sports or would like to try a new sport, thankfully there are lots of options, with the main sports available abroad being:
- Cycling and Mountain Biking
- Skiing (as previously mentioned)
- Mini Golf
- Water Sports (sailing, surfing, etc)
From that list I’m sure that you have a favourite already. However there are other types of sports holidays that are not as popular/well-known to tourists, but are available to take part in:
- Tai Chi (martial arts)
- Gladiator Courses (try being Russell Crowe) – available in Rome, Italy
- Adventure Sports (Climbing)
- Horse Riding
- Air Sports – Sky Diving, Hang Gliding, Paragliding, Hot Air Ballooning, Aerobatic Light Aircraft etc
- Bungee Jumping
- Boarding – Skateboarding, Wakeboarding, Kites-boarding etc
- Dog Sledding
- Ice Climbing
- Jetpack Flying
- Fire Walking
- Shark Diving
It’s not like you’ve not heard of most of the sports mentioned above, but often they get forgotten about.
Sports Holiday Destinations
So now you’ve got most of the types of sports holidays listed, just where can you go to take part in these sports and activities?
Well, destinations to take part in most of those sports are plentiful. However, there will be some destinations that simply do not cater due to perhaps inability to. For example, Thailand will not have bobsleighing facilities and therefore, you would have to choose another destination.
The best way to find which destinations cater for what sports is to search online or ask travel agencies that specialise in sports holidays whether or not your choice of sport is available in the destination of your choice. If it doesn’t, I would suggest that you choose either another sporting activity that is available at you’re chosen destination or change the destination.
Some destinations offering certain sports will be pretty obvious, others won’t. So do your research. Here are a few ideas of destinations for certain sports and activities:
- Scandinavian Countries (Norway, Sweden, Iceland etc) – typically offer winter sports activities, such as snow-mobling, Ice climbing, Snow Kiting, Dog Sledding etc.
- Mediterranean Countries (Spain, Italy, Greece etc) – these countries will more than likely offer all major water sports activities, but be sure to check the actual destination.
- Far East (Thailand, South Korea, Japan) – these countries will offer varied sports activities, including martial arts, fitness holidays, air sports and so on. Again be sure to check.
Remember, for the lesser known types of sporting activities you may have to do a little more research into the destinations, but it could be well worth spending a little of your spare time.
Ellie is the author of this article and has specialised in sports holidays abroad for several years and has provided advice on the best sports destinations for tourists to visit. Share your view on “Like Sports And Travelling? Why Not Take Sports Holidays Abroad?” in the comment section below.